… was proclaimed a national monument 104 years ago today. It was redisignated a national historical park in 1990.
Tumacácori NHP protects three Spanish colonial mission ruins in southern Arizona: Tumacácori, Guevavi, and Calabazas. The adobe structures are on three sites, with a visitor center at Tumacácori. These missions are among more than twenty established in the Pimería Alta by Father Kino and other Jesuits, and later expanded upon by Franciscan missionaries.
Padre Eusebio Kino was active in present-day Sonora and Arizona from 1687 until he died in 1711. He first visited Tumacácori in 1691.
Kino was a prolific author and mapmaker and has been called the primo vaquero (first cowboy). His is one of the two statues representing Arizona in the National Statuary Hall collection in the U.S. Capitol.