Calpundit sums up the first week of the campaign —
TOUGH CAMPAIGN SEASON AHEAD….Is this going to be a tough race or what? It was only last Tuesday that John Kerry clinched the nomination and:
- Bush immediately begins running ads exploiting 9/11 imagery to demonstrate what a firm leader he is.
- Kerry recruits 9/11 survivors to deluge the media with outrage over the ads.
- Kerry implies that the rest of the world’s leaders are all rooting for him to boot Bush out of office.
- The GOP’s website blares that Kerry is endorsed by North Korea.
- MoveOn runs an ad accusing Bush of gutting overtime pay. The Republican National Committee tells TV stations they will be “complicit” in breaking campaign finance laws if they run the ads.
Citizens United responds with a sarcastic commercial declaring that Kerry is “another rich, liberal elitist from Massachusstts.” Bush takes to the road to accuse Kerry of being soft on intelligence based on a vote nine years ago. Kerry shoots back, “If the president of the United States can find the time to go to a rodeo, he can find the time to do more than one hour in front of a commission that is investigating what happened to America’s intelligence and why we are not stronger today.”
I’m sure I’ve missed some stuff, but I’m tired. And this was only the first week.
Eight more months to go.